Tuesday, December 1, 2015

24 Bars in Aarhus - part 1

Café Englen

Aarhus has a small city for a danish city this size. Aarhus is 2nd biggest town in Denmark and no doubt have the 2nd best bar scene behind Copenhagen. But as we have this small city center everything is within walking distance, wherever you are

About a handful of small cobblestoned streets and alleys is called the latin quarters. In the latin quarters there is many french/italian inspired restuarants and cafe's where guests go for brunch, lunch, dinner, drinks and coffee.

The first bar in my bar advent calendar is one of these, Café Englen, which translates to the Café of the Angel

Cafe Englen on a very rainy November afternoon

Whisky: The selection is supreme for a cafe of this style. Among the bottles I did spot these:

Teaninich 73 Scott's Selection
Deerstalker 18 Balmenach
Green Spot Old Bottling
Laphroaig 12yo 1992 OMC
Macphail's 10yo 60.5%
Middleton Very Rare
A couple of Stauning's from Denmark

and a lot of other nice bottlings

The whisky shelves at Cafe Englen

Beer: Not a very interesting selection. Draft: some Carlsbergs, one Leffe and Kronenbourg 1664. Ale no 16 and Thy Økologisk Humle were the most exciting things available on bottle

Food. I didn't eat, but the steak burgers I saw carried in looked very delicious 

Music: I liked the relaxing background music

Staff: Nice

What I drank:

Macphail's Gold 106

60.5% ABV equals 106 imperial proof. Old style oily nutty flavoured speysider. A little treat to start of this advent calendar I say

Cafe Englen's website is here

The 24 Bars in Aarhus map is here 

Would I recommend this please: Yes










1 comment:

  1. Among the French style cafés, Englen is one of my favorites. Even without the whisky selection ;-)

    Nice idea. This "project" will turn out to be a very useful guide especially for visitors, but I think also for locals like me... :-)

    ReplyDelete